To us, an Exceptional Business is one that is purposefully, clearly, and methodically working toward:
- Making money or, in the case of a non-profit, delivers on its goals.
- Fitting into the Owner’s Lifestyle, whatever that may be.
- Creates happiness and satisfaction for its owner
- Has a short term plan, a long term plan, and an end game plan
- Is a happy place to work
- Creates satisfied and even evangelistic clients
- Motivates and empowers its employees
- Incorporates marketing and sales into the fabric of the business
- Delivers its product or service in a way that sets it apart from its competitors
Working toward? …Huh?
Yes, working toward. We don’t believe that having an Exceptional Business is a mission to be accomplished, a mountain to be climbed, or a finish line to be crossed. If only it was this easy.
The creation of an Exceptional Business requires a continuous process that will go on as long as you own your business.
There are two parts to the process of creating an Exceptional Business, the development, dissemination, and internalization of worthy, intelligent, and reachable goals, and the subsequent creation of a roadmap and a set of processes that will lead toward the fulfillment of those goals. Unfortunately, just about the time that a business thinks they have everything figured out, the clients, the market, and the competition changes and the business needs new goals and new processes.
Creation of The Exceptional Business is a never ending cycle. And we believe that this is one of the most challenging and exciting things about small business. Through hard work, effective techniques, and helpful counsel, a business can be made successful, fulfilling and Exceptional.
But not perfect.
Therefore, the creation of an Exceptional Business must of necessity be an ongoing process. W Edwards Deming, in his groundbreaking business process research, called it “continuous improvement”.
Managing and mastering this synergy of smart goals and a strong commitment to a workable process of “continuous improvement” is what creates an “Exceptional Business”.
That is our goal for you.